Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Cylinder Smart

Two Cylinder Smart

I've just driven a Smart for the first time. Wow - they are wonderful!

The one I've just picked up drives perfectly, the steering is precise the brakes seem very effective, the ride is good. I was particularly impressed with the silky smooth gearchange. And there's much more luggage space than I expected.

The only problem is that the plugs in one cylinder are completely fouled, and of course there's not much power. So after only 60k pressumably this engine needs a complete rebuild.

How hard can that be? I guess I'll find out soon. One thing's for sure, I'd be lost without this forum and the various 'how to' guides - thanks!

You'll be very lucky if it's a plug, more like a cylinder has pick up or the valves have gone. On a 60k engine, that's about typical!!

I'm used to engines that last at least three times as long. A rebuild after 60k is not quite what I was hoping for!

Sorry about that, but it might be a cylinder bore, piston or valve issue. Electrical could be the cause though. Have it properly tested on the diagnostic computer.

I will be really unimpressed if there's a problem with the block. Really very unimpressed.

So eventually I get around to some simple diagnostics:

Spark present (bother)
    Compression 30 - 150 - 150 (damn)

So the rebuild is definitely necessary, oh well.

Is the 30 most likely Valve or Rings?

I'm not going to do a leakdown test, as the head is going to have to come off anyway - I'm just curious as to the most likely cause.

Still using the car everyday on two cylinders - it drives remarkably well considering!
    Last edited by UKKid35; 18-01-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo

It's more likely to be rings but don't rule out valves.

I've had a Smart now for about 3 months or so and it's only just sinking in that these tiny engines have no real longevity. It's very frustrating and I'd wish I'd done more research before buying now! Glad yours is still running ok on 2 cylinders though, that is at least promising.
    Smart Pure & Simple

The Repair Begins

Just spent my first afternoon on the repair. Got as far as removing the intake. No really awkward moments so far, although one of the intake bolts was a bit rusty which slowed me down.

Next stage is the exhaust, and then the cam cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another five hours

I'm not the quickest mechanic, slow to start, and slow once I get going...

However I did manage to remove the exhaust manifold and cam cover today. A couple of the exhaust studs sheared but they weren't impossible to remove. Also there were no obvious manifold cracks, and no sign of oil contamination in the turbo (although I didn't disassemble it). So my repair parts costs are being contained fairly well so far.

Unfortunately the TDC mark on the crank pulley is very well camouflaged, and I couldn't see any TDC pointer for the arrow on the camshaft sprocket.

I had to stop when I couldn't undo the camshaft sprocket bolt, the writeup states that the camshaft counterhold is 32mm, but on mine it's larger, perhaps 34mm or 36mm, I will measure it and report back.

Edit: On my car its 36mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UKKid35; 24-02-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Additional Info