Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Cylinder Smart

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    Great Pics, and write up so far ...

Keep us informed !!

Lucid ±;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

Good and Bad News

Another four hours and the head is off, no really big problems, although I can see getting it back with the cam chain in the way is going to be fun.

Initially it appears to be good news, one exhaust valve is burnt out, so I don't have to do the bottom end. Remember this is just a repair, not a rebuild. It's a low mileage engine (60k) and will only be used as a shopping run around, so will continue to see low miles as a second car.

However looking at the photos I'm wondering whether the valve seat has been seriously damaged. I won't be too pleased if it is.

On the plus side both the head and block seem corrosion free and relatively easy to clean for well enough to reassemble. However that chain guide is a PITA and I can't see how to remove it, any suggestions very welcome.

Time to start ordering parts. I think I'll stretch to a full set of valves, even though the intake valves son't look too bad. Certainly not going to bother with the chain or sprockets unless someone here persuades me otherwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    Interesting Pictures.

What do you think the cause of the one cylinder burning the valve ?? manifold crack ?? Oil slipping past the rings ??

There has to be an explanation for the valve being burnt in the one cylinder.

IIRC, BIG Performance recommends using Brabus valves as a replacement because they have a different/harder material on the surface ??

Lucid ±;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

Quote Originally Posted by LucidSmart2005 View Post
    Interesting Pictures.

What do you think the cause of the one cylinder burning the valve ?? manifold crack ?? Oil slipping past the rings ??

There has to be an explanation for the valve being burnt in the one cylinder.

IIRC, BIG Performance recommends using Brabus valves as a replacement because they have a different/harder material on the surface ??

Lucid ;o)
    The nice people at WellSmart convinced me that do I need to do the rings, as they are probably the cause and the burnt valve is merely the symptom.

Oh well, more parts, more expense, more work - damn!

Another Five Hours

Didn't do too much this evening: removed the valves, cleaned the head (sort of) and cleaned the block. Finally dropped the sump.

The valve spring compressor wasn't quite the right size for those tiny exhaust valves so a little modification was neccessary. The chain guide is a PITA and I can't get the threaded insert out, which makes life awkward but not impossible.

I'm sure the purists here will be horrified by my half hearted cleaning efforts, but this degree of preparation served me well on the last top end rebuild I did, so I'm not going to get too excited.

Next job is to remove the pistons and start getting things ready for reassembly once the new parts arrive.
    Last edited by UKKid35; 16-02-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo

They should be with you today!

K

Have you got a sump valve thingy? (these images are all french to me)
    As you got the engine in bits, it would be rude not to put one in (if its doable from there) would make oil changes a bit easier

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?
    What if everything you ever dreamed, cost all you ever achieved?
    What if, to get to heaven, you had to brave hell?

Would you still go there?

Kolyn, Smartz smart car club staff member. Also a Roadster Driver, and a 4x4 owner
    You can go fast... I can go anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Esqulax View Post
    Have you got a sump valve thingy? (these images are all french to me)
    As you got the engine in bits, it would be rude not to put one in (if its doable from there) would make oil changes a bit easier
    I use a Pela to do oil changes on my other car as well, and have done for several years. I started using the Pela after a number of Exxon Valdiz type incidents that were really unpleasant. I'm not going back to draining oil out of a sump plug - nope, never again!

Quote Originally Posted by lil.smartie View Post
    They should be with you today!

K
    Many thanks for all you help and advice, looking forward to the delivery.

New Parts

Parts had arrived by the time I got home from work. Thanks for the speedy despatch!