Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Cylinder Smart

Thats our lil smartie, a girl of her word

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?
    What if everything you ever dreamed, cost all you ever achieved?
    What if, to get to heaven, you had to brave hell?

Would you still go there?

Kolyn, Smartz smart car club staff member. Also a Roadster Driver, and a 4x4 owner
    You can go fast... I can go anywhere...

A Full Day's Work

Replaced the valves and stem seals. The old seals seemed weaker than I expected. The new seals went on more easily than I dared hope, I could just push them on with my fingers, no need for a special tool.

I cleaned up one of the intake valves intending to reuse them, but on close inspection it was pitted on the seat face, so I gave up on that idea.

The next part on the job required an assistant, I simply couldn't have done it by myself. We removed the pistons, removed the old rings, and fitted the new rings. Eventually we found out how to fit the oil control ring (three part ring furthest from the crown) - fit the complex central part first, then the thin rings either side afterwards. For the other two rings we used a $10 Harbor Freight piston ring tool both to remove the old and fit the new rings.

Time was at a premium so we didn't clean the piston crowns. Next we refitted the pistons, carefully avoiding the Piston Squirters (blurred in the centre of the photo). This would have been impossible without an assistant. It was quite easy for the piston to rock slightly in the bore while refitting causing it to jam, tapping the circumference helped to identify this and free it up again.

Refitting the head was also a two man job, the chain and chain guides are the issue, and much care is needed. Finally I treated my assistant to a decent meal at the local Italian - I would have been completely stuck without his help.

Next job is to torque the headbolts and then refit the cam sprocket (not looking forward to that), clean and refit the sump, then re-attach the intake and exhaust, add fluids and see what happens - a tall order for a single day, but possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic that you are managing to do all this on your own (with some help from a mate at times) great pics and great info!
    Smartz Admin staff member - Here to help!

Having a smart is only the beginning, so why not join in with the community?

In between smarts at the moment. Had to get something sensible

- Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 HDi 110bhp

Very Slow Progress

I didn't finish yesterday. The main reason was I lost a gasket (which reappeared in my pocket after I packed up), and the Turbo Oil Feed gave me real grief.

I tried to refit it without removing the oil filter and pressure sender, big mistake. I cross threaded the hollow bolt and had a moment of severe anguish as this would have been a very serious problem if I'd been unable to correct it. The problem is that the feed line is solid and if not perfectly aligned with the block the hollow bolt is held at an angle, encouraging it to cross thread. Added to that the washers which are guaranteed to fall off as you try to fit the bolt then disappear behind the oil filter housing and have to be fished out, that alone can take five minutes.

I recommend packing the back of the oil filter housing with kitchen towel or similar, as well as removing the filter and sender before even attempting this step.

Talking Three Cylinder Smart

The engine fired up at 1am, and after a brief rattle as the hydraulic tappets filled up, settled down to a smooth idle. I let it run up to temp and checked for leaks, all good.

Before then the intake went on fairly smoothly, the most awkward part was re-using the hose clips. I had a supply of very cheap jubilee style clips but I tried to use the original ones where possible, because the originals are much better quality than the Poundland pack of fifty that I have. I also had to bandage the short breather tube which had a split in it, should be good enough until I can get a replacement.

I left the worst job until last, cleaning the block ready for the new sealant and refitting the sump.

Not driven the car yet because it's still on axle stands, and I need to refit the tailgate, but I'm confident that all is well.

I'll post a little more later, but for now I'd just like to thank everyone for their support, not least MrMrsSmart for the write-up http://www.mrmrssmart.741.com which I (mostly) followed.
    Last edited by UKKid35; 20-02-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Smile Test Drive

I finished off the rebuild last night by refitting the tailgate and bumper/wheelarches. Then I took the refreshed Smart for a gentle test drive (on a private road).

It runs beautifully, very smooth, reached operating temparature after about 7 or 8 mins, so no obvious airlocks. There were no signs of any leaks after the drive, so the only thing remaining before I can take it for an MOT is to fix the horn.

I can hear the relay click, so I'm assuming the problem is with the wiring or the horn itself, which is apparently very awkward to reach. Just when I thought I finished rolling around under the car - now I have to do so again.

Talking MOT Pass

Final part of this project was to get a new MOT, and it passed after dealing with the LHD fog light issue.

I'm very pleased with the way this has turned out. The car runs beautifully, it's a pleasure to drive, especially in traffic. I was a little alarmed by the effect of crosswinds (as my other car is never affected by them), and only paying 20 at the petrol station was just magic!
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    I'm very pleased with the way this has turned out. The car runs beautifully, it's a pleasure to drive, especially in traffic. I was a little alarmed by the effect of crosswinds (as my other car is never affected by them), and only paying £20 at the petrol station was just magic!
    On behalf of all the people who have been reading this thread, both members of Smartz and non-registered, thanks for the great write-up and pictures. Many people have been in the same situation as your engine was in, and now can see what the problem actually was, and how to solve it.

An upgrade of your wheels will pretty much sort out the wind problems. On our Pash Coupe, with standard 15's, it is like sailing a boat sometimes driving down the A30 into Exeter, but on my i-move with the wider BRABUS Monobloc 16's, it's a far easier journey. (I would'nt recommend the Mono's though, they are poor value for money, and the lacquer fails very easily)

Lucid ±;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

Quote Originally Posted by LucidSmart2005 View Post
    On behalf of all the people who have been reading this thread, both members of Smartz and non-registered, thanks for the great write-up and pictures.
    Lucid ;o)
    When I embarked on this repair Kane asked me if I could send him photos and write-up when I finished. The photos I've posted here are only a fraction of the total I took, and although I won't be replicating the MrMrsSmart write-up I will be adding some notes of my own. Eventually I'll send them to Kane and I expect he will add these to the excellent Evilution site at some stage.
    Paul

Thumbs up 1000km Follow Up

After approx 1000km I thought it would be worth changing the oil filter. It was full of debris which was rather alarming, until I worked out that it was the blue sump gasket that I had applied too librally. Apart from that all good there has been no oil consumption.

I also changed the gearbox AFT fluid at the same time as I'm sure this is often overlooked. It didn't seem too bad, but I'm sure it's worth doing. If you have a 1 Ltr container it's very easy to refill, although it takes about 1.5 Ltrs.

I do have a few oil drips after leaving the car overnight, so my next plan is to jetwash the underside of the engine and gearbox to try to identify the source.
    Paul