Thread: Clicking Dash Noise

Clicking Dash Noise

hi guys, the past week my smart has started displying a little problem, if it is that. when i first set out in the car there seems to be a clicking noise comming from under the dash somewhere in the passengers compartment. it funny because when the clicking happens, the lights behind the speedo pod display dim as and im sure the headlights dim as well, although i think i may be looking for something that is'nt there. earlier in the year i took the car to smart in cardiff because the abs lights where sometimes comming on when i started the car, but if i turned it off and back then they would go out. they told me at cardiff that it was because i had poorly fitted a bulb in the headlights.... the abs light has come on again also with the same porblem but i havent changed the lights bulbs or doe anything to the electrics of the car. i didnt really believe that a poorly fitted bulb would cause that problem, even though the light was working as it should, but they are the experts after all!!! any help people will be much appreciated so i can have some ammo when i take her to cardiff again, although im not really impressed with them there so may even take her over the border to bristol.

thanks. Purdy.

p.s. the clicking only happens when cold, when shes had a run, she fine until she cool down again.
    Last edited by Purdy-Car; 07-09-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: i forgot

Don,t worry about the clicking as I remember it's a relay sending more current to the engine when cold,it soon stops I am sure someone on here will be along soon to tell you a more detailed explanation

clicking noise.

Stanley is right, had my roadster for 4 years and it has always done the clicky thing and the dimmy light thing when starting off.but no problems.

thanks guys, has put mind to rest

It should only do it about every 30 seconds or so for the first mile of driving.
    It is the time between the relay opening to supply current to the engine heater and the alternator supplying more current to adjust to the extra usage.