Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Flat battery in your smart ?

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom

REVIEW: Flat battery in your smart ?

I was in this situation recently, and lived to regret ignoring my smart in the garage. I guess the simple way of fixing this is to drive your car more often, however in my situation I am not able to get out and drive my smart in the winter months, the fear of getting it mucky is probably not going to help either

Anyway, I finally have a day where I can drive my smart .. and nothing, no unlock not even a glimmer of light from anything. Pod Clock stopped at 12:35 kind of gave it away that the battery was flat. If you've not had this happen on a smart, you don't know the indignity of climbing though the back, and getting into the front seats. At least then you can open the doors.

Knowing a few people with "weekend car's", They always recommended getting a trickle / Maint charger for my smart. It seemed a bit late, but as I was going to Taunton in the afternoon a quick visit to Hein Gerike was in order. Hein Gerike stock the Oxford range of Maintenence Chargers. These are very well regarded in the Classic Car and Bike Magazines to maintain the battery when you do not use it on a regular basis.

Oxford have 2 main models in their range, the Oximiser and the Maximiser 360T. These both maintain and charge 12v batteries and can recover deeply discharged batteries, hopefully limiting the sulfating process on the lead plates. This limits the Battery life if the battery keeps being deeply discharged.

I chose the 360T, which has a display to show the Volts and delivered current. It also monitors the battery whilst it is connected, showing when the battery is unable to hold a charge. In the box, you get the charging unit and wall bracket, a harness to wire to the battery terminals with a keyed connector on the other end. Also, a Croc-Clip to Connector cable is supplied.

I connected up the direct battery connection, routing the cable so that it's reachable without pulling the poly-block out of the footwell. There's a handy indent in the block to the left that the keyed connector fits into, preventing a bulge in the carpet. I then connected up the charging unit.

The Blue LCD display indicated a battery voltage of 10.3v and the Blue Charge LED was lit. If the battery was deeply discharged, the Recover LED would have lit, so looks like I got there just in time. After about 18 hours, the Blue LED changed to the Green Maintain LED. After a few hours, the Strong LED also lit, reflecting the results of the test that the charger had carried out on the battery, meaning that it holds charge.

I'd recommend this to anyone who does'nt use their smart on a regular basis, if only to save the clambering through the back of your smart !!

Links

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/i...hp/cPath/23_53

http://londonbikers.com/articles/236...maximiser-360t

Lucid ;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

Excellent post. I'm gonna have to look into getting something like this for my smart.

Due to my job, having the hours literally all over the place, and also working nearly 7 days a week, the smart isn't getting used. Plus having a mum who hates a LHD drive smart, it's easier for me to simply use the e-class if we need to go anywhere...

The battery was flat and didn't have enough charge to unlock it and I had to do the same, climb in through the rear tailgate.

this has just happened to me too. My fault I bought another smart and ignored the other for while. Okay for 2 months. Now i cant get in its a cabrio so dont think i will be able to climb through the back any ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by cadw2 View Post
    this has just happened to me too. My fault I bought another smart and ignored the other for while. Okay for 2 months. Now i cant get in its a cabrio so dont think i will be able to climb through the back any ideas guys?
    send a small child in.....????
    Daisy........ aka Clare........
    "Chiquitita"

Cool

Good idea, as long as you've a lecky supply in you garage
    beans beans are good for the heart
    the more you eat the more you fart
    the more you fart the better you feel
    so eat baked beans with every meal

Cool

Why can't you get in thru' the boot? I have, just open boot with key and lift up the window section and climb in!

Quote Originally Posted by chuffer dandridge View Post
    Good idea, as long as you've a lecky supply in you garage
    i dont even have a garage ..... but i have a solar trickle charger jobby that plugs in fag lighter....used to use it in my camper....... it r quite good if you park in sun
    "Chiquitita"

its a city cabrio old shape. the key does open boot but its a cabrio so cant just lift the window. must find the manual see if the hood can be unclipped at the back somehow as im never gonna squeeze in that gap!

its a city cabrio old shape. the key does open boot but its a cabrio so cant just lift the window. must find the manual see if the hood can be unclipped at the back somehow as im never gonna squeeze in that gap!
    how big is the gap..... cant you get an arm in to undo the roof...... then just jump in
    "Chiquitita"

Cool

Open the boot, look inside the cabrio section you should see two levers, lift them up and the hood unclips you can then push it upwards until it locks, to close it pull it back down and pushing down on each end click it into place, if you haven't done right a letter "C" will appear on your dash