Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: REVIEW: Flat battery in your smart ?

Battery charger

I have permanently wired in a battery connector with rubber cover to the battery, with the cable just poking out of the top of the footwell (mine's LHD). I can then connect my motorbike charger to it in seconds.

Ottery st Mary, Nr Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by StevRS View Post
    You see Lucid, if you got a bike you'd already know all this!!
    I do, but mine's got stabilisers ....

Lucid ;o)

| smart i-move Limited Edition | Fuel Econometer - |

I drive with the IPSGA system, do you ??

I am making fishing weights out of my flat battery. Battery only lasted 8 years.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Yingchun View Post
    Smarts come with trickle charger, heater in the water system and internal fan heater fitted !

Power socket is mounted at the front, opposite side to the temp sensor, just plug it in with a timer at night, engine is warmed and the interior dry and hot in the morning!
    Presumably this only applies to cars that are local to your area though but?

Here in the UK, winter temperatures are rarely below around -20C (-4F/253K) at the lowest so we probably don't need that gadgets.

I use the same charger . My question is how long does the battery normally last on a smart without use . A week and mine seams slow to turn over?? Normal or new battery
    member of the one and only "Mad Smartz Club"

Opinion means nothing FACT is FACT you can't tell me nothing I'm always right FACT

2004 smart passion (resent project)
    2010 Renault Trafic crew cab
    2001 Yamaha R1 (the game changer)
    1993 Suzuki Gsxr 750 (100% original)
    1997 Yamaha 650 Dragstar ( to take me boy out on)
    2000 Landrover Freelander ( to run round for the horse)

Lidl has an intelligent battery charger on special offer from 17 January.
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_38025.htm
    Lidl where quality is cheaper!
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Smart-ass View Post
    I use the same charger . My question is how long does the battery normally last on a smart without use . A week and mine seams slow to turn over?? Normal or new battery
    Our Roadie hasn't been moved for 5 weeks now. (In temps that were down to -15C)
    It JUST managed to turn a couple of revolutions, but didn't start.
    After that, it was dash flashing and solonoid clunking.
    2 hour charge from a 20A intelleigent lump sorted it.

Smart batteries are not the biggest, and if you have after-market stereo, they go flat pretty quick (The Grundig takes zero power in stand-by ).

In summer, we've left the ForTwo for 4+ weeks and never had a problem.

Resistance is the enemy of electrical efficiency. With the battery up front and the starter motor behind, it's a circuit where thin wires and dodgy connections are significant. Earth connections in the return path are equally important. The battery itself has internal resistance. The lower the better and a good battery may have an internal resistance measured in micro ohms and thousand Ampere instantaneous capacity.

Quoted 'Reserve Capacity' is important too. It's proportional to how long you've got if the charge circuit fails. Mine just got me home by keeping the engine going, but couldn't do lights as well...

Now running on an 096 size AGM. Great for muti start/stop and no venting plumbing.

Err...Thanks for searching old threads, but you're preaching to someone who published a manual on batteries and charging circuits 10 years ago

I can't see any reason for you to post this almost 3 years after the thread was started, but you must get points for looking/searching old threads (which many people can't be a$$ed doing!)

Quote Originally Posted by Or_GazM View Post
    Err...Thanks for searching old threads, but you're preaching to someone who published a manual on batteries and charging circuits 10 years ago

I can't see any reason for you to post this almost 3 years after the thread was started, but you must get points for looking/searching old threads (which many people can't be a$$ed doing!)
    It's a sticky and where was I "preaching" to you (or whoever published 10 years ago)?

Maybe you should go find something else to complain about.