Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 petrol caps?!?

Angry 2 petrol caps?!?

Hi I just registered on here as I have had a really bad experience with my new smart fortwo passion and I don't have the handbook with me. I recently got this car after not having driven for 10 years and I decided to fill the tank for the first time this morning as I was going on a long journey. I had parked the car last night with the passenger side facing the kerb so when I approached it this morning I noticed what I assumed to be the petrol cap in the usual place so when I got to the petrol station I opened that cap, saw what looked like the opening of the funnel (for want of a better word) for the petrol and pumped 4 litres in before I noticed the petrol was actually pouring out the bottom of the car onto the forecourt. I then go to the other side of the car and see what actually WAS the petrol cap!

Does anyone know what in the heck is the thing on the other side? The RAC came and flushed the petrol out with water which may have then caused the electics to fail. It's now undriveable. But neither the RAC nor the mechanic where the car is now waiting have any idea what this other cap and funnel inside that lead straight through to the bottom of the car are for. They have suggested that some manufacturers put a fake petrol cap on the opposing side to make the car look identical from both sides (although I can't think why anyone would be offended by their car not being symmetrical in this way) but then why go so far as to make the inside of this fake cap look like it can receive fuel? Isn't that inviting some inexperienced people like me to damage their car?

So angry and confused! Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Trinny

Welcome to Smartz.

That's the air intake. It must have taken some serious effort to open too...

I have never heard of or seen a car with a 'fake' fuel cap on the other side in my life - I think the RAC man was trying to make you feel a bit less stupid.

I'd seriously consider some refresher lessons before taking to the road again!!! Possibly worth asking someone else to check the oil & tyres etc too!

Cripes. My other cars never had that! But it was such a long, very long time ago. And it actually took very little effort to get it off! Should the RAC have flushed it out with water then? Yes I did take refresher lessons but not in that car, sadly. Dear God, no.

You need to take the plugs out. Remove air filter and let it dry. Crank engine on starter until no water shoots out of plug holes, then refit everything and try to start.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

I wouldn't worry too much, you're not the first person to do that, and you certainly won't be the last....

lol bless! my mum thought that about my smart

"Craig ... your car has two petrol holes .... why??"

"Air intake mother"

"what?"
    "Model T is a room with the lock inside --
    a key is turned to free the world"

Thanks for the advice Tolsen. It's now waiting to be seen by a mechanic next week as it was due service and MOT anyway. This mechanic did not however, know what the cap was for either, despite having dealt with these cars before. And the RAC man genuinely didn't know what it was! Of course had I actually bothered to check both sides of the car before inserting fuel I would have made damn sure I was putting it in the right hole first. Wondering what else I'm going to stuff up now. Was also wondering how people feel about going long journies in these things. Was just about to do a 2 hour motorway trip with my 3 year old when it happened but had various people warn me not to beforehand saying they're only for about town driving and they're totally unsafe on the motorway. I must admit when my daughter had her window wound down the other day I felt like we were going to blow away when we were only doing 40. Bet then I do like to put petrol in the air intake...

You aren't the first, which is why all owners of cars up to 2002 would have been sent a little sticker to stick in the side window that shows a "no fuel" symbol. Later cars have NO FUEL in the plastic.

Oops. In theory it'll be no harm done.
    Tony

Living life with Pure Passion, always with my finger on the Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by trinny View Post
    Was also wondering how people feel about going long journies in these things. Was just about to do a 2 hour motorway trip with my 3 year old when it happened but had various people warn me not to beforehand saying they're only for about town driving and they're totally unsafe on the motorway. I must admit when my daughter had her window wound down the other day I felt like we were going to blow away when we were only doing 40. Bet then I do like to put petrol in the air intake...
    I have driven my Diva ( a 451) to Manchester and back and had absolutly no trouble, yes they are a light car that is prone to the high winds but as long as you can brace yourself and adjust as you go it is fine. Also did a few trips to the Lake District in my Mums old 450 and that was in torrential rain and wind and was also ok
    I always hang mistletoe in the same spot ... the middle belt loop on the back of my jeans.

Most people who say they are only for town have never been in a smart. I travel to work on the motorway every day, it will sit at 70 mph all day no problem at all, and still return 50mpg+