Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loom

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    A failed or failing CPS wouldn't stop the car from turning over from my experience, it just stops it firing up.
    Agreed - and one that's not entirely shot will allow an engine to start then quit when hot - usually at low rpm.

I think the car in question needs the main leads checked over (any competent garage can do this). Think back 10 + years ago. We were upgrading our earth leads even then because they weren't that good from new.

There have been cases where main positive lead from battery to starter on a Smart 450 has failed due to breakdown of its outer casing and then corrosion of copper strands causing a no start scenario. Not much brainwork is required to check of this is the problem even an inept brexs7itter should manage.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

What to check if no response from starter.

1) Turn key to start.
    2) Relay in SAM should click.
    3) Starter solenoid should click.
    4) Starter should turn engine over.

So if starter does not turn engine over you check 2 & 3 above. If you hear 2) but not 3) there is most likely bad contact on spade connector to starter solenoid which is quite common. If there is indeed click from starter solenoid (3), problem is either positive cable from battery to starter, bad earth lead or faulty starter.

The thing that is puzzling me is the car cutting out & then the starter doesn't work?
    It's like the ECU has been switched off. Is there a main relay that has to be on for everything to work?

So probably two issues with this poor Smart.

1) Engine speed sensor is faulty.

and

2) Starter motor bendix drive is bone dry or rusty hence pinion does not engauge and starter motor just freewheels making a whirring sound.

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post

Starter motor bendix drive is bone dry or rusty hence pinion does not engauge and starter motor just freewheels making a whirring sound.
    Don't think this can happen as it's a pre-engaged starter, therefore the motor windings don't get any power until the bendix is engaged.

UPDATE (3)

Mercedes tested the SAM unit on its own and it appeared to work, but when attached back to the car the ignition would not turn. They then connected their STAR machine (I think thatís what he said) directly to the car and everything turned over and the car was running. So, after being told the SAM unit was fine it wasnít so I had to have a new unit fitted.

I now have a working car and it cost £1489 (of which £800 was just labour costs) and I now feel quite ill having to pay that money to Mercedes because no one in my area would touch my car.

Ouch! That's a big hit!
    I could be wrong - and be corrected if I am - but I suspect the work there couldn't have been done by anybody without STAR. Maybe though time to find a good Mercedes indy in your area.
    At least it's running again and as more succumb to these types of problems and are given up on, the scarcity of 450s will increase - adding value to yours.

So it appears Mercedes dealer mechanics knew what they were doing after all. £800 for labour is not much only 7 hours work at dealer rates.

What you should do now is take your Smart for a long enjoyable drive before next Corona lockdown comes.

​Ouch! but at least you've got your car back on the road. Now go & have some fun :-)