Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450 Passion - Hand btrake stuck

450 Passion - Hand btrake stuck

Hi All,

I canít believe itís been six years since I last posted.

*Still have the same problem and the same passion which has now been parked up (very low mileage ) but looked at it the other day and thought letís get it running after 15 years of the wife giving me ear ache to get rid but I wouldnít.

First up - The handbrake is stuck - any ideas?

I had contact details for some mobile smart guys on old phone and I seems to remember Ian from Addlestone of Egham coming out on another smart I had?
    Anyone know of any in the Staines, Heathrow area?

Its probably not worth the trouble now for a 2003 passion but I bought with the intention of signing it up, putting a private plate on it and bought a whole load of mods to make it stand out. - I know its nuts but I want to give it a go

Any help appreciated.

CheersÖ Jim.

Depends on which bit of the handbrake is stuck.

Handbrake lever: dismantle the cowl round it. Disconnect the cables from underneath, and remove the handbrake lever and clean and lubricate until it works.
    Cables seized: Remove wheels, Remove drums, disconnect cables from brake shoes, disconnect cables from handbrake. Either replace cables or lubricate until they work.
    Seized Drums: The most likely reason. Remove wheels, Remove drums, Lubricate pivot points lightly until things move correctly.

Most of your effort is likely to be focused on getting the drums off - gentle taps with a rubber mallet and lots of twisting and possibly some heat from something like a hair dryer to get he drum hot enough to expand, but not hot enough to do any damage to the internals.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Heinkeljb View Post

Handbrake lever: dismantle the cowl round it. Disconnect the cables from underneath, and remove the handbrake lever and clean and lubricate until it works.
    Cables seized: Remove wheels, Remove drums, disconnect cables from brake shoes, disconnect cables from handbrake. Either replace cables or lubricate until they work.
    Seized Drums: The most likely reason. Remove wheels, Remove drums, Lubricate pivot points lightly until things move correctly.
    Yes to the above.

Most of your effort is likely to be focused on getting the drums off - gentle taps with a rubber mallet and lots of twisting and possibly some heat from something like a hair dryer to get he drum hot enough to expand, but not hot enough to do any damage to the internals.

John
    But suspect more brutality will be required if the drums and shoes are fused together.
    I'd skip heat unless the drum has taken hold and its centre - and much more heat - flame torch heat. No need to be over cautious - brakes are designed to resist heat.

For the shoes seized to drums go straight to a steel hammer - it's the shock that's required. If after a few blows to the outside of the drum(s) at different points hasn't freed them I'd access the adjustors and manually back them off (see FQ101 for details) then get to it with the hammer again. Hammer opposing sides (so both shoes feel the shock and closer to the flange rather than at the rear) and at the same time get a lever in between the drum edge and backplate. Eventually they should free enough to permit removal of the drum but that may still be a struggle.
    The shoes may well get damaged during this - but your options are limited.

I remember years ago watching my dad hitting opposite sides of the drum with two hammers simultaneously, to get the drum off. It worked for him.

John
    Thanks John and all for the feedback.

Actually after all of the (parked up for years) a couple of days of wd40 on the handbrake and a bit of muscle rocking back and forth did the job.
    Handbrake released and the wheels are rolling!

Charged the battery and put it back in. All lights, windows, back release and central locking all good.

Still wont start though. - Can anyone give me some contacts for mobile smart gurus around the Heathrow area?

Next step getting the radio to accept the code which I'm sure Ill find the answer on here.

Gave it a wash and its looking smart with its white panels and silver frame, with no dings or rust.

Going to persevere with this little smarty. Who else do you know that's got and eighteen year old one with 15,000 genuine miles on the clock?

Regards, Jim.
    Last edited by NewSmart; 17-06-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Scrub the radio question got that working.
    Original code in car drawer - four digits - press little smart type button and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NewSmart View Post
    Scrub the radio question got that working.
    Original code in car drawer - four digits - press little smart type button and it works.
    An easy fix then

Quote Originally Posted by EmilysDad View Post
    An easy fix then
    Yep

Still need help with a capital HELP though on getting it started.

Quote Originally Posted by NewSmart View Post

Still wont start though. - Can anyone give me some contacts for mobile smart gurus around the Heathrow area?

Give us some more info and maybe we can help. Is it cranking not cranking etc etc?

Best way to release brake shoes from brake drum is as follows:

1) Release hand brake lever and place transmission in neutral.
    2) Jack up and remove rear road wheels.
    3) Hit flat face of brake drum all around its perimeter with a heavy rubber mallet.

You hit brake drum horizontally from the side. Do not hit brake drum radially.

You will see dust falling off and after a few hits you should be able to turn brake drum by hand.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG