Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 450 Passion - Hand btrake stuck

As for no start common issues are:

1) If engine is cranking but not firing. Seized alternator. Remedy: Dress up in boiler suit, source good Lidl elbow grease and free that alternator by turning it back and forth on the nut that holds its pulley to alternator.

2) Just a series of clicks from starter solenoid. Either poor starter battery, bad contact at battery or correded earth strap, the one that connects transmission to chassis on left side rear of engine access hatch.

3) No audible click from starter solenoid but click from SAM when you turn key to start. This is a fairly common issue and is caused by bad contact on spade connector to starter solenoid. On 450 petrol models without aircon, access to this spade connector is good by reaching in from the right. Wiggle the connector and apply penetration oil to it using a long straw. Apply grease once good contact is made to protect from future corrosion.
    Drives a Smart Cdi - 65 to 85 MPG

Quote Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
    As for no start common issues are:

1) If engine is cranking but not firing. Seized alternator. Remedy: Dress up in boiler suit, source good Lidl elbow grease and free that alternator by turning it back and forth on the nut that holds its pulley to alternator.
    22mm Deep Swan Neck Ring Spanner is what I need to use on mine, plus I spray in as much bike chain lube as possible, took at least 20 mins last time, another 10 if you include removing/replacing the splash guard

I'm hoping to park it up in a friends shed until the MOT runs out on my Roadster at the end of the year, so I am already dreading the restart process

I could ask him to fire it up once a month, but since I'm imposing already I'm wary of asking
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Mine is sat outside and has only been fired up twice since March 2019 and apart from the seized alternator that last time, no problems. The front brakes - a different story...

Thinking about breaking it though. What would a good (rebuilt 11,000 miles ago) 700cc engine be worth?

Not cranking.
    Everything else working but nothing on the engine and this is why I'm asking for mobile smart gurus in the Heathrow area is anyone knows of any?
    Cheers.

Great feedback Tolsen. I'll try to spade connectors but hoping to get a mobile smart guy out if anyone can name one around Heathrow area.
    Last edited by NewSmart; 21-06-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Last week I got my 2002 Smart 450 diesel back on the road after having sat for 13 months.

Rear brakes were of course seized as was the alternator. A complication freeing my alternator is some years ago I fitted it with a freewheeling pulley and can therefore only turn alternator one way. Good old elbow grease and some persuasion did it.

Passed MOT on Saturday, spent hours talking to Aviva to renew insurance, what a bunch of clowns they are. Told me they could not insure mine as their system which they claim is linked to the DVLA listed my Smart as a petrol, not a diesel. For 2002 Aviva lists a Smart Cdi which after hours of waiting and arguing they finally agreed would be best description for mine. All of Aviva's Smart model details is really cocked up as nothing resembles the 450 model series.

Renewed my tax this morning for free.

What now remains is to get transmission out, open it and replace a failing bearing. Noise has become unbearable hence reason for the car having sat.

Regarding your no start issue, getting access to starter solenoid spade connector is easy on a petrol although a bit more difficult if you have aircon. Still much easier than on the diesel where the only way is to poke with a wooden stick or something else that wont short wiring if you make contact with live 12 volt positive on starter.

If it's not cranking at all, does that mean the solenoid isn't clicking?

If not, then probably worth checking fuses/relays for the starter circuit

I can't remember whether the fuel pump primes before the starter runs, someone else will have to confirm
    Paul
    Pure 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Feb 08 - sold
    Passion 2000 W, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Mar 09 - sold
    Passion 1998 T, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Apr 10 - sold
    Cabrio 2001 Y, LHD 599cc - Engine Rebuilt Jul 10 Replaced Oct 16

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post

I can't remember whether the fuel pump primes before the starter runs, someone else will have to confirm
    Pump primes as soon as ignition is live.

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post
    If it's not cranking at all, does that mean the solenoid isn't clicking?

If not, then probably worth checking fuses/relays for the starter circuit

Sorry it does click just wont start. I think its time to find some mobile smart guys aroudn heathrow - If anyone can give me any contact details?

Cheers...

Click from where?

SAM unit?

or from starter solenoid?